“Half an hour’s meditation each day is essential, except when you are busy. Then a full hour is needed.”~Saint Francis de Sales
Have you ever wondered why it’s so challenging to meditate as often as you might want to? It may not be what you think!
In 1992 in addition to my clairvoyant readings I started teaching meditation to awaken people to their own clairvoyant abilities.
In my career I’ve heard every reason you can possibly think of for why someone doesn’t meditate as often as they want to. Of course I’m mainly talking to those who are on a spiritual journey and consciously making the choice to incorporate meditation into their daily life.
Now, I totally understand if meditation is not for you BUT if you’re ‘meditation curious’, want to commit to increasing your awareness by adding (or resetting) a daily meditation practice read on! There might be an answer or three for you about why you meditate on and off, why it’s hard to start, or even continue the process!
Why is it so “hard” to meditate?
If you think about it, that question is not only funny but it’s an oxymoron. The simple answer to the question is…It’s NOT hard to meditate in fact it’s really EASY to meditate. There are many types of meditation. Some meditate sitting on the floor, in some special yoga posture, or laying down. I teach a specific type of meditation where you sit in a chair with your feet firmly planted on the floor.
The reason I bring up different types of meditation is because one of the reasons it might feel “hard” to meditate because we have a concepts of what it should and shouldn’t be. Different types of meditation feel different to our bodies and what might be right for one, may not be right for someone else.
- Choose a meditation that works for YOU.
- There is no right or wrong way to do it. Your willingness and curiosity is all you need.
- Put a smile on your face and laugh. The moment you laugh at thinking it’s hard, it won’t be hard anymore.
But I can’t empty my mind.
You’re absolutely right, you can’t! What if instead of always trying to empty your mind you simply sat down in your chair and allowed all those thoughts to have their own space? Allow them to meander hither and thither.
When you center your awareness and allow those thoughts just to BE, you will find you’re no longer in effort “trying”. The more we fight against what we’re experiencing, the more stuck we become and the harder it is.
- Notice if you’re “trying” to empty your mind. If you’re “trying” you’re in effort. Allow your thoughts, feelings and emotions to be there. Give them a space to simply BE.
- Give yourself a breath, return to center and watch as your thoughts meander hither and thither then give yourself another breath and return to center once again.
- Simply decide you’re going to give yourself a breath and listen to it or connect with your heartbeat. You can even use your imagination to tap into the flow of the earth with curiosity. Note: When you do this you’re directing your thoughts instead of being consumed by them.
I don’t have time to meditate.
I hear this ALL the time. Now clearly there are many reasons for this and I get it but I’m going to ask you a question: How will you have time if you don’t make the time?
If you’re not scheduling it, you’re choosing not to make time. Now, I have no investment in your schedule, in fact I’m completely neutral with your choices. You can schedule or not schedule. That said, when it’s on your schedule there’s a greater chance you’ll actually move forward to attend to your daily practice.
- Give yourself quiet time. You’ll have more energy to tackle the rest of your day. If it’s really challenging for you, start by checking in with yourself every hour for a few minutes. Just see how you’re doing and where you are. Give yourself a gentle breath and return to center. Note: This simple exercise will help shift your energy and attention which will make it easier to finally sit down in that chair.
- Give yourself a BREAK! If you consider meditation “hard” why would you make time for it? I mean who wants to spend time struggling and in effort? Give yourself a break and think of it as giving a gift to yourself.
- Give yourself a daily gift and actually add meditation to your schedule.
It’s not you it’s the energy.
Have you ever considered that it’s the energy that you want to step out of or release that is the cause of your inability to keep up your practice? It’s true! The energy and attention from others, the energy of doubt, the energy of all you’ve become responsible for does NOT want you to release it!
If I can guarantee one thing about meditation it’s that taking time for yourself might turn your world upside down. This is especially true if you’re always giving to others but not to yourself. It means you won’t be available to energy vampires or the ones who like to dump their problems or pain into your lap.
- The more you meditate the more you have a space to be. The more space you have to BE the LESS you are effected by the energies you encounter every day!
- Take baby steps and make it a game. Tell yourself you’re only going to sit down for 5 minutes. Keep doing it until your able to find some amusement with all the distractions trying desperately to keep you from moving out whatever you’ve become responsible for.
So there you have 4 truths (out of hundreds if not thousands more reasons) as to why it can be challenging. I included meditation tips to to help you connect more with your “happy place.”
If you’re interested in learning the fundamentals of meditation, you’re interested in resetting or jump starting a meditation practice or would like to add new techniques to your current practice please join me for one of my monthly on-line workshops or schedule a one-to-one mentoring.
No matter what you choose to do be sure to enter the space with curiosity and willingness to explore!~Shine Your Light Debbie
©Debra Taitel 2018 All Rights Reserved
Debra Taitel is a gifted Clairvoyant, Energy Healer, Spiritual Teacher and Intuitive Business Consultant providing insight and guidance to clients around the world. In addition to her clairvoyant readings, healing work and intuitive consulting Debra also offers one to one mentoring sessions and leads meditation workshops to help people heal and awaken to their own truth and spiritual gifts. For more information, please visit her website. To schedule a session: Click Here